No More Living Out of a Suitcase!

So I finally have a minute to sit down for an update. Whew! The past few months have just been insane! I’ll try to give everyone a brief overview, since so much has happened in three months.

1. THE CONDO. We finally sold the condo! We got an offer in September, and we closed on October 3. We barely got everything out by closing. I was literally pulling out of the parking lot with a car full of cleaning supplies when they got there for their final walk through.

2. THE NEW HOUSE. While waiting on our place to close, we made offers on two houses. Neither offer was accepted because they said our offers were too low (those houses are still on the market, by the way). Immediately after the closing, we went with our realtor (and Maggie, and Tyler’s parents) to go look at a house, because we still didn’t have a house picked out. We went to this cute little bungalow that we had previously written off because it didn’t have enough bedrooms or bathrooms and was kind of expensive. We knew when we walked in the door that we wanted it. We were there for 20 minutes, then went to our realtor’s office and made an offer. We went back and forth over the weekend, and we had a deal by the middle of the following week. We scheduled our closing for the first week of November.

3. HOMELESS. Some wonderful friends of ours let us stay with them until we had a new place. They had an extra bedroom and a room over their garage, so Maggie was able to have her own room and Tyler and I had ours. It was so amazing of them to let us stay there, especially since it ended up being more than a month. It was kind of tough, since they live so far outside of town. Also, as much as we love them and they love us, it was a bit rough sometimes with four adults, one baby, two dogs, and two cats all under one roof. I think they were glad to have their house back, and we were glad to have our own place after more than a month. Maggie had a great time there, because she always had people to play with. She got to go play in their yard, and play with the doggies. She didn’t even mind the train that went right by the house about 10 times a day. Anyway, I don’t know what we would have done if they had not let us stay at their house, and we are forever indebted!

4. THERAPY. While we lived with our friends, since their house was so far out, we had to have Maggie’s therapies at another friend’s house. We didn’t want Maggie to lose her spot with her thereapists, and have to go back on a waiting list. So, whenever Maggie had therapy, I had to drive like 45 minutes there and back, while lugging Maggie and all of her therapy stuff, and food, and a Pack N’ Play in case she got tired. It made me so thankful that we were able to go back to “home” visits when we got in our new house. That traveling so far three times a week was not fun for either of us. But, it worked out, and I’m so thankful to my wonderful friend for the use of her house for a month! We have the greatest friends ever!

5. MAGGIE’S PROGRESS. So Maggie has been growing and developing by leaps and bounds lately! I really think all of that time living with so many people really helped her! While we were living with our friends, Maggie started walking! She had taken a few steps before, but never really multiple steps. On Tyler’s birthday, right after he got home, she just started walking (I think she was going after some video game thing she wasn’t supposed to play with). It was amazing. She just got up and went! She’s also started talking some, and is doing great. Here is her word list: hey!, bye bye, uh-oh, bubbles (bubu), pop, no, no ma’am, baa (like a sheep). She also signs “more.” She kind of has it confused with “I want,” but it works for us. And the “no ma’am,” we weren’t intentionally teaching her manners…she just copies us, and we say that to her a lot when she is doing something she shouldn’t. She’s also kind of getting “thank you,” or something that sounds a lot like it.

6. BUYING A HOUSE. Buying this new house was a huge pain. When we bought the condo, everything went perfect and quick. So, I guess we used all of our good house buying karma back in 2006. This time, almost everything that could go wrong, did. After we had the deal, something came up every time we went to the house. We went for the termite inspection, and they found termites. We went to get an estimate on replacing the tub hardware (claw foot tub with low water pressure) and they tell us that the pipes under the house need to be replaced. We went for something else and their was a leak in the kitchen ceiling. Then, we went through this special City Lender program (neighborhood revitilization and preseveration), and we had several lenders working on our loan. Apparently, they didn’t talk much, and everything was a huge mess. I ended up spending most of my days for about 3 weeks signing things, faxing things, calling people 10 times per day, and being about as stressed as I’ve ever been. We ended up having to push closing back a week, and we were surprised the morning of closing to find that we needed a whole lot more money for closing than they had estimated. Even though it was a huge pain, we absolutely love the house, and are so glad we got it!

7. MOVING IN. The move was interesting, since almost everything we owned was in storage. Also, we own way too much stuff. At least our new house is in a great location for having a yard sale! Anyway, so the first night we had the house, Tyler and I slept here and Maggie stayed one last night with our friends. The next day, a bunch of my family came down to help. It was great having everyone helping us out so much! We got most everything in that first day! Then, that night, at about 4:30, me and my parents woke up to some really loud sound. After some investigating, we found out that some crack head (literally, look at police report) decided to play parked car pin ball on our street. My husband’s car, which is the car I got 10 years ago in high school, was the first car to get hit. The girl bounced around my dad’s car, and plowed into a BMW down the street. So, she totaled three cars in about 5 minutes. Its good to know she’ll never have a license again. Anyway, so Tyler’s car was totaled. I had this car for 10 years, driven it to Canada, Chicago, all up and down South Carolina and Georgia, and it was just parked on the street one night and met its demise. At least she died in her sleep and will now be an organ donor. I had a hard time saying goodbye. :( We were about to leave for Kentucky to go see Dr. Mervis the next week. The insurance company got us a rental car, and we drove it to Kentucky. We’re currently in the process of trying to find Tyler a new car.

8. KENTUCKY. I will have to leave for another day. Its about time to get to work…hopefully I’ll do the Kentucky update, and some more details on other things, tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who has been checking in on us and waiting for an update! I hope everyone is doing well!

Comments are closed.